15
Jul 19

Property of the Week903/26 Pacific Street, Newcastle

Ocean views in Essington penthouse | Property of the week Property of the Week | 903/26 Pacific Street, Newcastle
南京夜网

Property of the Week | 903/26 Pacific Street, Newcastle

Property of the Week | 903/26 Pacific Street, Newcastle

Property of the Week | 903/26 Pacific Street, Newcastle

Property of the Week | 903/26 Pacific Street, Newcastle

Property of the Week | 903/26 Pacific Street, Newcastle

Property of the Week | 903/26 Pacific Street, Newcastle

Property of the Week | 903/26 Pacific Street, Newcastle

Property of the Week | 903/26 Pacific Street, Newcastle

Property of the Week | 903/26 Pacific Street, Newcastle

Property of the Week | 903/26 Pacific Street, Newcastle

TweetFacebook Property of the Week | 903/26 Pacific Street, NewcastleThere is plenty of apartment movement in Newcastlewith multiple projects under construction throughout the city.

But a penthouse on the top floor of Essington Apartments overlooking Pacific Park and Newcastle beach has generated plenty of interest of its own since hitting the market this month.

Ben Robinson, of Robinson Property,is marketing the three-bedroom, two-bathroom apartment with a price guide of $1.4 million to $1.5 million.

It is one of five penthouses occupying the top floor of the building. The last one to be sold was in 2015 for $1.3 million and this apartment has not been on the market since 2007, according to Australian Property Monitors data.

“Those apartments are quite big and they’retightly held,” Mr Robinson said.

“There’s not a lot of movement in that building and hardly anyone ever moves up there in Essington on the top floor.

“There’s a bit of history being the old nurses’ quarters and itis nice and quiet because you’re on the park.

“There are always people who have been looking around for a while that are waiting for homes like this to come up, so I think it’s one of those rare opportunities when they do come up.”

The property will be positioned close to the light rail when it is completed and walking distance to the beach, ocean bathsand harbour.

There are ocean views from the open plan kitchen and living plus each of the three bedrooms.

It is located at 903/26 Pacific Street, Newcastle and open for inspection on Saturday at 11am.

Related content: Local property news


15
Jul 19

Griffin opts for Peachey as NRL fullback

Penrith’s coach has chosen to put Tyrone Peachey at fullback in a bid to spark his team.The versatility of Penrith star Tyrone Peachey will be put to the test after being named at fullback in a bid to arrest the Panthers’ alarming drop in form.
南京夜网

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak was expected to return from a hamstring injury and assume his spot as custodian for Saturday’s crucial NRL clash against Manly.

But he was instead named on the wing in place of Christian Crichton, with Peachey set to start in the No.1 jersey for the first time in his career.

Veteran forward Trent Merrin has also lost his spot in the starting line-up, with James Fisher-Harris moving into the front-row and Isaah Yeo posted at lock.

The Panthers are in danger of slipping below sixth spot for the first time this season after losing four of their past five games, including a 32-point hiding in Brisbane last week.

Merrin on Tuesday admitted the team had shown signs of complacency during their losing run, as well as being affected by their State of Origin representation.

“It’s been a tough period. Getting the Origin boys back into the team, and trying to build that consistency again, it’s always tough,” Merrin said.

“I think we can take some good things out of the last few games we’ve played.

“We just haven’t been getting the results.”

In other team news, Cronulla second-rower Luke Lewis is set to return from a calf injury for their crunch match against Brisbane.

The Broncos, who are two points below the Sharks in seventh spot, have retained Jamayne Isaako at fullback and captain Darius Boyd in the centres for the second week in a row.

North Queensland big man Jordan McLean could play his first match since breaking his foot in March after being included in an extended squad to take on Newcastle.

The match marks Kalyn Ponga’s first return to Townsville since switching camps over the summer, however he failed to finish Tuesday’s training session due to an ankle injury.

Dylan Walker and Jorge Taufua return from injury for the Sea Eagles against the Panthers, while Parramatta star Jarryd Hayne moves to the wing for their match against South Sydney.

Defending premiers and ladder leaders Melbourne also get Dale Finucane back in their starting line-up against a Canberra side boosted by the return of Joseph Tapine.

For the Warriors, Blake Green and Tohu Harris have been included but they lose suspended prop Adam Blair for their game against Gold Coast.

Australian Associated Press


15
Jul 19

Slater won’t leave NRL’s Storm hanging

Billy Slater expects to decide whether he’ll play on next year before the finals get in full swing.Melbourne Storm superstar Billy Slater is yet to decide on his NRL future but says this time he won’t leave his club hanging until after grand final day.
南京夜网

The 35-year-old is weighing up whether to extend his decorated career into a 17th season, having made his final representative appearance during this year’s State of Origin series.

Slater last year helped the Storm to the premiership but waited until their end of season awards night to announce that he would play on in 2018.

The Storm are top of the ladder with six rounds remaining and eyeing off back-to-back titles but Slater says that won’t factor into his decision-making.

“I would have thought that I’d make the decision before we get to that,” he told reporters on Tuesday.

“I’ve been fortunate to play in many grand finals, I’ve won four. That’s not going to determine whether I go on next year.

“It’ll be everything. It’ll be my body, it’ll be my mind and whether I feel I can give 100 per cent next year.”

The Storm have enjoyed enviable depth this season with Jahrome Hughes impressing while filling in for Slater at fullback during the State of Origin window.

“It doesn’t impact on my decision but it is great for the club,” Slater said.

“We’ve had guys come through in the past, Cameron Munster, Brodie Croft, young Brandon Smith. The club’s in good hands, obviously doing a great job at recruitment and bringing these young guys in and turning them into consistent first-grade footballers.

“With Craig (Bellamy) at the helm for another three years, it’s in a good position moving forward. It certainly gives you comfort that the club’s going to be competitive.”

Melbourne host 10th-placed Canberra at AAMI Park on Saturday night and Slater said the Storm were well-placed to extend their seven-game winning streak.

“This time of the year, you want to be playing good football,” he said.

“There’s only six games to go until the finals and for us, we’re all back together now.

“Origin’s over, we’ve got a few guys back from injury. It’s about the time that we need to start building on our performances.”

Australian Associated Press


15
Jul 19

Canberra must move on Williamtown PFAS contamination

Tuesday’s Williamtown hearingIT will be three years in September since the residents of Williamtown’s“red zone” were propelled into the centre ofone of the worst contamination problems that this country has seen.
南京夜网

Over this time, the controversy over the potentially carcinogenicper- and polyfluoroalkyl substances used for decades in firefighting foams has grown, both in its physical scope and its implications.

It is now officially accepted thatPFAS chemical contamination can be found at virtually every airbase in the nation. And not only airbases. Just this week, the Department of Defence announced that an environmental review would be needed at the Singleton army base, with a community information session to be held in Singleton on Friday. Indeed, the deploymentof these chemicals has been so widespread for a range of reasonsthat experts now say that PFAS exposure, if only at very low levels, is almost endemic.

But even if PFAS contamination has become an issue in a range of locations, Williamtown remains the epicentre of a situation that has trapped its victims on a range of levels.

At a public hearing on Tuesday at Williamtown, federal parliamentarians saw and heard the human impact close-up.

With Defence acknowledging that PFAS chemicals were still leaching from the base, residents lined up to tell the MPs on the Defence joint standing committee that they felt betrayed, abandoned, frightened and fed up. With their health under a cloud, and their financial situations ruined thanks to the PFAS-created collapse in property prices, few of those involved are able to leave what has effectively become an unwalled prison.

The federal government is clinging to a report that says there is very little if any evidence to link PFAS exposure to human disease, but this is no assurance for those who are trapped in the red zone through no fault of their own.

No one can change what has happened but we can impact on the future. The only decent thing that Defence and the Commonwealth can do is to buy out those who want to leave at pre-PFAS market rates –at least –and to remediate the area as best as possible. As a nation we are spending tens of billions of dollars on new planes and warships. The least we can do is spend a fraction of this amount toalleviate the impact on the defence department’s accidental victims.

ISSUE: 38,960.


15
Jul 19

Alleged Qld murderer ‘played the victim’

Lindy Yvonne Williams portrayed herself as a victim of George Gerbic’s violence to cover up her intention to kill him, the prosecution in her murder trial alleges.
南京夜网

Williams, 60, has admitted dumping Mr Gerbic’s torso on the side of a road and setting it alight 80km from their Sunshine Coast home in September 2013.

But she has denied deliberately killing him and cutting off his head, hands and legs.

Williams has claimed Mr Gerbic hit his head on a kitchen benchtop after slipping on blood from a cut on her arm he had inflicted as she tried to defend herself during a fight.

“‘George attacked me.’ He might have ended up with his head cut off, his hands removed, the lower half of his body removed … but ‘I’m the victim in all of this’,” crown prosecutor Todd Fuller QC said.

“George Gerbic was the victim.”

Determining the cause of Mr Gerbic’s death has been impossible given only his charred torso had been located.

The removal of his body parts indicated there was an attempt to cover up his murder, Mr Fuller said.

“The means by which his body was disposed of can lead to only one conclusion – that he suffered a violent death,” Mr Fuller said in his closing submission.

“That his death was done with intention to cause it or cause him a serious injury.

“She can’t explain the way George was dismembered because … she was involved in his death.”

Williams told police after seeing Mr Gerbic slip, she locked herself in a bedroom, emerging the next day to see him on the kitchen floor.

She said she left and returned two days later to find his body missing its head, legs and hands wrapped in plastic in a bathroom – a claim Mr Fuller described as a “most outrageous lie”.

She has denied cutting up his body and said she did not know who did.

The court has heard throughout the trial Williams attempted to cover up her partner’s death by telling friends and relatives he was overseas.

Emails and texts were sent from Mr Gerbic’s accounts after he died to give false updates of his well-being and whereabouts, which Mr Fuller argues were sent by Williams.

“This woman here for 10 months was manipulative, calculating and engaged in a whole episode, with family, with friends, with acquaintances, all to carry out the subterfuge because of what she did,” Mr Fuller said.

Mr Fuller said her claim to friends and police about Mr Gerbic being bisexual, which could not be verified by investigators, was to portray him as “driven to violence”.

Defence lawyer Simon Lewis will give his closing statement on Wednesday.

Australian Associated Press